Wednesday, February 3, 2010

missed connections

5 comments:

  1. I met these girls from London in Big Sur and they were obsessed with the Mission and Girls. They said their entire music scene out there was based off the Mission and it felt pretty strange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird. pretty sure the music scene here is already based on something else anyway, they should probably just base it on that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it didn't speak too loudly of their scene and the music she played for me sounded pretty much what you'd expect a derivative of a derivative to sound like. England in the two thousands, what a let down... for the most part and compared to the nineties and before. Wonder what happened

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude! Seriously! They were doin so good back then. Me and my friend were talking the other day about how their totally needs to be a 90s-style cheesy/"hippie" pop comeback. Just some young people who make good music that don't take themselves too seriously or care about being "cool" for once. I want it!!! Keepin' my fingers crossed...
    Have you heard that Sonny and the Sunsets record? Pretty close, kinda Jonathan Richman/doo-wop Surf pop; definitely recommend it. Except I don't think he is young, so that explains that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Make it happen! Acid (washed), etc. Sometimes I think San Francisco's music scene needs more youth. So ruled by the elders. I was just talking to a friend too about how that early 90s quixotic cheesy/off kilter pop should come back. When I go back and try and find lost gems from that era I can't help but think we could do so much of it better wandering through a fractured lens of a lost decade digesting more music influence than any before it. SF seems like a good place to harbor it for sure.

    I'll have to check out that Sonny stuff, sounds pretty promising from your description.

    ReplyDelete